Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Pope Francis Reminds Us that Our Economic Systems Should Reflect our Moral Values

Pope Francis Reminds Us that Our Economic Systems Should Reflect our Moral Values

"While many have lauded Pope Francis for consistently discussing economic inequality and poverty, some on the right have been less enthusiastic. In response to the pope’s encyclical on poverty and the environment, Jeb Bush, for example, remarked, “I don’t get economic policy from my bishops or my cardinal or my pope. I think religion ought to be about making us better as people and less about things that end up getting in the political realm.”

Bush’s dismissal of the pope’s positions on economic issues not only contradicts his earlier claims about the relationship between religion and politics, but also ignores the history of his own church."